Media and entertainment is the most ‘efficient’ vertical
According to 2013 data from Visible Measures, branded video ad views worldwide totaled 19.04 billion between 2009 and the end of 2013. At 8.3 billion, views last year accounted for a huge chunk of this total—nearly 44%.
Last year, 78% of user-initiated views, or 6.5 billion, came from campaigns launched in 2013, but videos from 2009 to 2012 still generated the remaining 22%, with 3.8 billion views. As Visible Measures pointed out: “The percentage of views from old campaigns is a reminder that branded video lives forever.”
Mobile continues to increase its share of digital video ad views. According to data from Ooyala, 14.8% of digital video views worldwide came from mobile phones and tablets in September 2013. This was up from 9.9% in March 2013 and just 6.4% in September 2012.